Monday, September 10, 2012

Isearch Background

            Babies are the one topic that I really know nothing about. Growing up, the only person I babysat was my brother who is only three years younger than me. I never babysat anyone else. There was no need for a babysitter because my aunts and uncles already had a daycare provider. I am the oldest cousin on my dad’s side of the family (rarely see my mom’s side) and, so, I have been around little kids. However, the youngest of the cousins, besides my younger half-brother, is only six years younger than me. That being said, I was only six when she was a baby. With my half-brother, he is nine years younger than me. I do remember him being a baby, but I wasn’t around a lot to see him grow up. The most I remember of him being a baby is crying, eating, and sleeping. This is pretty much how I thought of babies about a year ago. I was never really around babies as a kid, never babysat one, and never really talked about them. When I went to daycare, there were older babies and toddlers. I would watch them scream, throw stuff, cry, scream again, take a nap, and then scream some more. The daycare provider always seemed to be running around trying to satisfy the needs of each kid. I did not want to have a kid!

All that changed last year in September once I found out that I was pregnant. Given my experience with babies, I was skeptical on how I would take care of one. I looked back on all the experiences I saw with someone taking care of a baby, and tried to hold on to those memories for future assistance.  I read books, looked online, and talked to other moms. I tried gathering all the information I could, but I still didn’t feel ready to be a mom by the time I was in labor. I was scared, but everything seemed to come naturally. My maternal instincts kicked in. I am learning every day with my son, but I would like to learn more.

3 comments:

  1. I think that most of this material is actually going to be the second section of the isearch, the Why section where you lay out your questions.

    This background is your history with childrearing. Since you don't have much background, it will be short, but what have you observed about other children over the years? Did you ever babysit? Did you have infant relatives growing up? Anything along those lines would fit in the Background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just rewrote it. Is this better?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks better--I really have to see the first three sections to sign off on any one of them, but this certainly seems to fit the bill so far.

    ReplyDelete