Sunday, September 9, 2012

Graf #9 (Object)

             Right in the beginning, soon after Kevin and I started dating, he got a ’95 Chevy Blazer. We spent a lot of good memories with that Blazer. It gave us good times and bad times, dirty times and dirty (wink wink) times. We went to Hell and back with that vehicle; however, it was persistent and kept on trucking through all the chaos we put it through - even if we didn’t treat her right all the time.

            There were those times where we would cruise through the woods in no man’s land. Bottoming out on rocks, clipping trees, spinning out in wet mud, and somehow burning rubber on the small patch of tall grass we would find. That Blazer really took a beating when we went trail riding or mudding out in the woods! When it was just Kevin and I, after we were done our fun in the woods, we would decide to call it a night and just park in the middle of the woods, lay out the sleeping bag in the back (no backseat), and go to sleep.

            The woods weren’t the only beatings that Blazer took. One night in the middle of winter, we were headed back to my house. On the way to my house, there was a very steep hill. We started going down the hill and realized that there was a police vehicle stopped at the stop sign at the bottom of the hill. Kevin tried to slow down but the road was just glazed with ice. He was able to veer away from the cop before hitting it, but instead we crashed into a massive snow bank – almost flipping the Blazer sideways. The cop never noticed… Then, later that same winter, Kevin was dropping me off at my house. My landlord was plowing and didn’t see Kevin behind him and slammed into the vehicle causing $2500 in damage. The Blazer went out of commission for quite a while after that.

            I would always be looking for that grey Blazer. That Blazer meant Kevin was driving – which meant happiness. When I was having a bad day, I would be looking for that Blazer to come pick me up. When I was lonely, I would anxiously await that Blazer to pull into my driveway. When I was bored, I would be running out to that Blazer once spotting it. That Blazer, although we beat the shit out of it, meant a lot to me. It meant fun, comfort, and happiness – especially when Kevin put new front seats in so that I could sit right next to him with his arm around me. It was perfect.

 

2 comments:

  1. "I would always be looking for that grey Blazer. That Blazer meant Kevin was driving – which meant happiness. When I was having a bad day, I would be looking for that Blazer to come pick me up. When I was lonely, I would anxiously await that Blazer to pull into my driveway. When I was bored, I would be running out to that Blazer once spotting it."

    This strikes me particularly as an evocation of an emotion rarely mentioned: how an object can stand it for a person and cause one's heart to leap. I felt that way about someone's blue VW Golf once--just the image of a Golf on the road made my body flood with adrenaline.

    And all the rest of it is not too shabby either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story took me back to high school when I to owned a red 85 blazer. I too loved that truck and all the good times. Good times wheeling with the boys and even better times with the girls. oh how time flys.

    ReplyDelete