Monday, October 22, 2012

Timed Contrast Essay

               Throughout the course of the week, I am always expressing three different ‘inner animals’. These three animals, although all different, are each representing two very important aspects of mine: to protect and nurture. Nobody has ever told me that I act like these animals. However, when I have time to sit, relax, and think, I remind myself of these animals. I could be hanging out with my friends and having a good time, like a dog, slyly creeping through the woods, like a cat, or consistently on guard of my baby at night, like an owl – but I’m always there to nurture and protect.
                I usually always have to be in the company of others. I enjoy being a part of a crowd and having a good time. Whether I’m just chatting, partying, or even just listening to someone else, I like to know that I’m worth someone’s attention. This is where I feel like I am a dog. Dogs like to have attention – but too much attention and I become a shy dog and try to find my escape. I am happy to be with friends and to have fun. However, when something goes arise, I become protective. Whether it’s protection of myself or my friends, I will become all bark. If the problem heightens, I will become all bite. I do not let myself or my friends get walked on. In other aspects, if a friend needs a shoulder to cry on, I am there for them. I will listen until they can no longer talk. I am there to nurture my friends or loved ones like a dog nestling in with their upset owner. I am just a big, gentle-hearted dog that is very protective of the ones they love.
                Then there are the days where I’m out in the woods on the prowl. I have my set of skills against nature’s set of skills. I slyly creep through the woods like a cat – without making a sound. I steady my breathing, watch my surroundings, and balance my weight with each step. This way, I am as quiet as a cat on their hunt. Once I find a place that seems like a good place to rest, I sit and stay for hours without making a move. I hear every sound, see every movement, and sense every wind change. When I am out in the woods, I am on high alert. I have had hunters walk by without noticing me. When someone goes with me hunting, they are shocked at how quiet I am – it’s as if I’m not even there. When I’m out in those woods, I’m as happy as a cat with catnip.
                At night, I represent an owl. As a new mother, I am on constant alert for my baby. I sleep with one eye open, making sure I am aware of every sound he makes and that he is okay. If he makes a sound while he is sleeping, I automatically wake up. Sometimes when I don’t hear him for a while, I have to get up and make sure he is okay. I can be up at almost any hour of the night. I sleep when I can, whether it’s during the day or night. I remind myself of an owl when I am sleeping. Once I hear Sirus make a noise, my eyes shoot open and I spin my head 180 degrees around towards his crib (figuratively speaking, of course). I am very protective of my child and am always on constant alert.
                I can be man’s best friend, the field’s quietest hunter, or be as alert as an owl. No matter what the situation, it all revolves back to one thing: who I am. As a new mother, I have become very protective and very nurturing; so, consequently, I have become these three ‘inner animals’. They may be all different, but they all share these two traits. I could be protecting my friends as a dog, myself as a cat, or my loved ones as an owl. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters to me is that everyone is safe and sound. That is what makes life perfect.

2 comments:

  1. I like the easy tone, the competent control of the paragraphs, the personal touch.

    But.

    But this is a comparison essay where you look at similarities, not a contrast essay which would look at differences. As I said, you did a very nice job at explaining your animal similarities, and I will take it.

    ReplyDelete