Monday, October 1, 2012

Essay #2 (Classification Essay)

                The morning dew glistens from the rising morning sun - signaling the start of a new day. As the sun warms the air, the dew slowly drips off the trees, and the lake slowly ‘wakes up’ as it goes from being calm to having gentle ripples. Through this liquid mirror, the fish take a quick peek above water as they collect their breakfast. At the same time, the frogs slowly soften their nighttime singing as the loons proudly share their lovely morning solo. All is quiet, except for the harmonies of nature. Upon taking a deep breath, you feel completely rejuvenated. The fresh, crisp air is so pleasurable that smiling becomes involuntary. There are no people arguing, no television, no drama, no work, no school, no nothing – just you and nature. The easygoing morning hours let you clear your mind and free it up for noteworthy thoughts. This is a lot of the reason why I love the outdoors. That is why most of my hobbies take place outside. If it is a good day, I could easily have a morning like this while doing my favorite, and stress relief, hobbies: hunting, fishing, and camping.

                Hunting; the one place that requires my complete concentration on my surroundings, myself, and my skills. People have told me that I have great hunting skills. I am incredibly quiet once I’m in the zone. As I walk towards the woods, I let my mind dump all that is bothering me behind me. Once I enter the woods, my mind is completely blank. Nobody is there to bother me about stupid questions, concerns, or lectures. I don’t have to worry about work or school. When I finally find a good spot to sit down, I make myself comfortable, and stay in the same position for hours upon hours. Then, and only then, do I allow thoughts to come across my mind. It is very relaxing to think things through while staring at the wonders of nature. When a deer finally walks in your line of vision, it is very rewarding. Deer are so elegant; whether I shoot one or not, it is still rewarding to know that you were quiet enough for a deer to come that close to you.
                Fishing gives me a different kind of stress relief. It lets me spend time with my family in a calming environment. We talk about the past – the funny, cool, and meaningful stories. We all laugh and joke around with each other. Once someone gets a bite, we are all rooting them on. I love to fish! Trying to figure out the right way to reel the right type of lure through the water for different fish is intriguing. It’s really fun to learn what makes each fish tick. When I’m reeling in one of those giant fish, I can’t help but smile and laugh the whole time. I have a blast fighting the battle with those fish!

               Finally, there is camping. Camping is also a family oriented thing. I love sitting around the fire pit telling stories under the stars while listening to the frogs sing. It is one of the greatest feelings in the world. Especially when it’s with the people you love. It’s almost as if you can feel the bond of the relationship with everyone growing. I love to be completely surrounded by the woods and a lake. I’m talking about camping with a tent – not a camper. Camping with a camper, I believe, is cheating. As long as my favorite people are with me, I could care less about electronics, gossip, news, and anything else that is at home. All you need is a cuddle buddy, family, and a bonfire.

                The only thing that is just as good as watching the sunrise, is watching the sunset. The sky illuminates with an array of oranges, yellows, and hints of red. As the shadows from the trees become longer, the crickets begin their choir as the geese flying up above let everyone know they’re about to settle down. Once in the twilight, the frogs begin their nightly chorus and, behind them, you can hear the plop….plop….plop of the fish getting their last minute meals. Looking across the lake, you see a beautifully reflected picture of the sky up above. Following the reflection, you see the sky completely extended across with bright, shining stars. Of the billions of stars, you gaze at one in particular and remember that childhood rhyme. Star light, Star bright, The first star I see tonight. I wish I may, I wish I might, Have this wish I wish tonight: For many more days like these.

 

2 comments:

  1. This is a well-organized essay with plenty of Jess W in it, and I am glad to take it.

    What jumps out at me are grafs 1 & 5. I'm doing nature writing for one of the weeks in Advanced Creative NonFiction ENG 262 and can tell you that nature description is not easy and that your grafs 1 & 5 are far better than anything in that line that I've seen in ENG 262 lately.

    Might be a course for you in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! Maybe I will look into it.

    ReplyDelete