Friday, November 2, 2012

Timed Effect Essay

                My whole life I had been trying to find the right path to take. Should I veer this way, or should I veer that way? I needed to find the path that would make my family happy. The road of my life was full of twists and turns; it was confusing and I got lost often. I felt like an American driver in England. I didn’t feel comfortable with the way I was driving through life. Realization finally struck me and I quickly gained control of my life and took a turn, hoping for better. The road became broken along the way, but eventually it led me somewhere where I never thought I would end up; being pregnant in high school, a college student, and a Marine wife.

                Senior year is the year of self-actualization. It’s a time to realize who your true friends are and where you are going in life. It is also a time to have fun with your friends while you can. During my senior year, I was pregnant. However, unlike most pregnant girls in high school, I took control of my life and figured out where I was going, how to get there, and what to do next. I was (and still am) with the dad, I was getting all A’s, and I kept a job to save up money. I proved to everyone that I wasn’t a stereotypical pregnant teenage girl.
                College; the one thing people tried to get me to wait on. After having a baby, people didn’t think I could handle being a full time mother and a full time student. I started to question it myself, but I wasn’t going to let anything slow my life down. I was going to go in, all or nothing. I made it easier on myself, and for Sirus, by taking online classes. Although it can be challenging at times when Sirus isn’t sleeping and I need to get some work done. Fortunately, my family has been supportive and helpful during this time in my life. I am so grateful.
                On October 11, 2012, I married my best friend, a United States Marine. Although he had plans to go in before I got pregnant, he stuck with it for the baby. We wanted to make sure that the future would be bright for our little bundle of joy. On top of that, we will be traveling, cared for, and doing a part for our country. I finally had the feeling that I took the right path in my life. I’m always up on cloud nine when I see my engagement and wedding ring on my left hand and my new USMC ring on my right hand.
                Finally, the road of my life began to get scenic. It was a time in my life where I realized that it wasn’t the condition of the road that mattered; it was the scene around it. It doesn’t matter how I got to where I am. All that matters is what is there. I am a mother to the most incredible baby boy, married to the most amazing man and father of my son, and a full time college student. Everyone’s life can look like a road. Some are full of twists and turns, some are full ups and downs, and others are like a road in the desert; straight and boring. Life is meant to be anything but ordinary. The only way to reach that is to take the road less traveled on. I took a path not knowing where I would end up, and I don’t regret it for the world! In the words of Rascal Flatts, ‘Bless the Broken Road’.

2 comments:

  1. This is a nice tight little essay--but to me it reads more like process (step by step how you got to where you are) than effect (the three effects on you of something.)

    I suppose you could argue that you are describing the effects or results of a bumpy and twisty road on your life, but that road is only a figurative, metaphorical one, not a literal one, so that argument is a bit of a stretch.

    Still, I read plenty of poorer essays that jump through the hoop called 'effect' and that I pass, so I think I will take this one as is.

    Unless you want to use it as a process essay in a week or so and try again on effect--what do you say to t hat? YOur choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you feel that this is better as a process essay, then I will have it as the process essay for later this week. I will try again with the effect essay

    ReplyDelete