Friday, November 16, 2012

Essay #8 (Effect Essay)


                The day had finally arrived. I, along with everyone else in my class, had been waiting four long years for this. Excitement overwhelmed us as we each took to our positions. When the cadence began, a flood of anxiety flooded the room. Slowly, we each marched with our partner down the aisle and to our seats.  It was a long 80 minutes, but as the ceremony finally came to a close, we heard the words we had been longing to here: “Congratulations, Class of 2012 graduates!” That was my high school graduation. I remember it being hot and uncomfortable – but then again, I was eight and a half months pregnant, too. Since my graduation, I have noticed a big change in myself. I look at life a very differently, now. I have become the adult that I need to be for my child. I have become more insightful, more responsible, and more independent.
                Graduation was a big step in my life. Since being out of school, I have become more insightful about whom my friends are and the decisions I make. High school forced everyone to be together, including my ‘friends’. I was led to believe that I had a large amount of friends in high school. However, now that we are no longer forced to be in the same building, I have been shown who my true friends are. Also, since becoming a mother and wife, I make wiser decisions for my, son’s, husband’s, and my life. All of my decisions have to play along with them as well; I can no longer just make decisions for only myself. That is the biggest reason as to why I have a limited number of friends, now. The others don’t understand what it is like to be a parent.
                Responsibility is also a big change that consumed me since graduation. Since becoming a legal adult, I am now taking responsibility of my medical forms, paperwork, and any other legal document. I have to say, there is a lot more to being an adult then what I was led to believe! Nobody said that being an adult was going to be easy, though. Also as a parent, I am taking responsibility for Sirus’s legal documents, as well. As a wife, and a military dependent, there are a lot more forms and responsibilities that I have to deal with. It is all worth it in the end, though! I am slowly making my way into the world of financial stability. I have had a debit card since I turned 18, and had a bank account since I started my job when I was 16, but I am new to the checks, bills, insurance costs, registrations, balancing checkbooks, and taking more responsibility with what I buy. I had always tried to save my money, but now it is more important.
                Lastly, since graduation, I have become extremely independent. I was already pretty independent before-hand, but now it’s grown. I am currently living with my father until my husband gets permanently stationed somewhere and Sirus and I can move with him. It feels weird to be able to do whatever I want, when I want, and how I want without my father’s consent. I am buying things, selling things, taking care of Sirus and myself financially. I take visits, go to appointments, and take vacations! On the 19th, I go to Florida to be with my husband, Kevin, for Thanksgiving! I bought my plane tickets and hotel reservations online. Doing that made me feel even more like an adult!
                Graduation; it gives the biggest impact on most people. It helps change people into who they should be. It helps them head in the right direction. Graduation probably has the biggest effect on a young person’s life. I know it had a significant impact on my life. It forced me to make more responsible and independent decisions for myself. Getting married and becoming a parent also made me grow up quicker than most people my age. I am now more insightful on what I do in life and who my friends are. I am also more responsible for my actions and my family’s, and more independent. After all that is said and done, I am successfully a legal adult with big responsibilities, and I’m ready to take on the world!

1 comment:

  1. Nicely structured, clearly effect, individual--those are the strengths.

    Weaknesses: details are light in grafs 2 & 3; graf 4 is more the idea, more specific. Biggest problem. Graf 5 is pretty much interchangeable with graf 1--it's too much a summary, doesn't offer anything new.

    So, I'm on the fence with this one....

    Anyway, have a good time in FL--especially knowing that your English teacher took your effect essay without demanding a rewrite.

    ReplyDelete