Thursday, August 30, 2012

Graf #3 (Inventory)


            This is the inventory of my nightstand to the left of my bed. It is all of my important essentials for the night at just a quick arm’s length away.
·         A lamp
·         A TV remote
·         A pen
·         An alarm clock
·         A Post-it notepad
·         My prenatal vitamins
·         A picture frame with a photo of my fiancé, Kevin, and I on my high school graduation in it.
·         A book - Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
·         My weekly planner containing my homework due dates for each college class
·         A retainer case for my invisalign retainer
·         A breast pump
·         My cellphone

On the floor next to my nightstand:
·         A notebook where I write my letters to Kevin in boot camp
·         A couple boxes of fruit snacks
·         A box of envelopes
·         My college books

Inside my nightstand:
·         Paperwork
·         All my letters I have received from Kevin
 
This nightstand screams teenage mom. She is a mom that’s just trying to keep her teenage life from floating away. Her college books are right next to the bed. This way, once the baby goes to sleep, she can get some studying down. She also has her notebook near the bed so she can write to Kevin and tell him all about his son. All his letters are close at hand and a photo of him within grasp. I think she is showing separation anxiety. Everything she needs for those long nights is just two inches away from her bed. Everything she needs – but, not everything she wants. That ‘everything she wants’ engulfs her nightstand: In the photo, letters, notebook, and the features in their son she so proudly holds. This is the nightstand of a teenage mom who is anxiously awaiting her Marine’s return.

1 comment:

  1. "Everything she needs – but, not everything she wants. "

    Very nice line, and you did very well to choose a dash to separate the two halves of the sentence; it snaps the reader's head around a little. The next sentence also is especially good, particularly 'engulfs.' The reader can't escape; we're engulfed too, if only by the sentence and the writing.

    ReplyDelete